Sunday, March 18, 2012

Intermediate Class

Supposedly Intermediate Class will be "much stricter" than the puppy, or beginner, class.

I have faith.

It seems that Bella is a real smart puppy. She might not show it on a daily basis and I am very easy to be frustrated with her, as she and I have had many words this past week. Okay, I've had many words and she's only looked at me with those cute puppy eyes that says, "I understand what you're saying but I'm only a dog so what do you really expect...."

Well, now I actually do expect something. Tonight at training, she showed to me that she is smart enough to follow instructions. Whether or not she can do it amidst distraction and under pressure, this class will let us know. One down and five to go, is how I look at it now.

The class only has three participants. Bella is the youngest. A mutt, Harley Quinn (of Batman fame) is one of the classmates and a Corgi, Starbuck (presumably named for the Seattle coffee chain) is the other. Starbuck does not seem to like Bella at this stage, but she is the oldest at three years. Harley is two years and seemed to want to engage with Bella a little bit. Of course, it was the first class and everyone is trying to feel each other out, so there wasn't too much playing.

Every class that we have been to, whether it be puppy class or now the intermediate class, we've introduced something new. Each time, Bella has been able to grasp and execute without much of a problem. Tonight was no different. We began the "Heel" training, which is not something that a dog wants to do. The idea behind "Heel" is you want them to be at your side, or heel, and not leave. Obviously this impedes on their instinct to roam. I truly hope this doesn't become an Achilles' Heel for Bella. Besides my downfalls (mainly being too tall), Bella really did a good job in a short distance setting. The longer duration "heel" which we will begin to practice next week may prove to be the Greek weakness, but we wait and see.

The thing that I was most impressed with was her "sit" and "wait" skills. At the start of class, before we went out to practice our "heel" session, we had to "sit" and "wait" at the door before we were allowed to exit. We have a "classroom" that is enclosed in glass. You may remember it from the time when she ran full on into the glass trying to meet a dog on the other side. Our practice area is in the store where the public has free reign. To get from the classroom area to the practice area, you have to pass between two doors. So had no problem exiting the classroom.

To be quite honest, I let Chassie do most of the work- 1) I think she's a better dog handler than I. 2) I think she's more confident than I. 3) I think Bella is more in tune to her than I. And finally, 4) I think she's better looking than I. Well, not so much the last one, but you get the picture. There were no problems on the way out to begin the "heel" sessions. Chassie easily had her sit and wait as she walked out the door first. We practiced "heel" down the aisle a few times. Chassie gave me some pointers on how I could overcome my height difference with her. Chassie really does have a knack for knowing how to train dogs. If you have any questions in the future, feel free to contact her, I'm sure that when I speak for her she says that she's more than happy to help.

I digress. Where was I, oh yes...

We finish our short "heel" session and head back toward our classroom. I have the leash and we are behind the Corgi, Starbuck. Starbuck does not want to sit and wait to enter the classroom. Another PetSmart employee comes over and helps (hinders) the process. It takes roughly three minutes for her to sit and enter the classroom area. I've got the controls for Bella as we enter the room and I tell her to "sit." It takes two stern commands. She does what she's told. I take three steps inside the door, she stays seated like a good girl and looks up at me waiting for approval. I pause, just so everyone knows I'm in control, then give her the command, "Let's go" and Bella follows me in. I allow her to get a drink of water and then resume my seat in the classroom. Harley Quinn has joined us, so school is back in session and then...

Bella pees on the floor.

We're used to this by now. Chassie recounts that on the first class of puppy training she pooped in class. Everyone has a good laugh as Sarah gets the mop and cleans up the area Bella has freshly contaminated. We close class with an exercise where Bella has to sit while getting petted by a "stranger." Sarah, our instructor, who's not a stranger, but attempting to play the part, comes up to us and Bella has problems as she's a little too excited to keep her rump on the ground.

Chassie has said that she wants a "C+" dog, meaning not one that's too smart, but smart enough to be obedient . I think we have a solid "A" dog. The jury is still out and we'll keep tabs on her as we go, but she seems to pick up everything we try with her. She doesn't like homework, but who really does? Now that we've moved into a higher class, it seems that we may have to work a little harder. To be honest though, I think she's only going to prove it when she has too.

No comments:

Post a Comment