Saturday, March 31, 2012

The Exasperation Occurrences

This blog has mostly been about the good times and, well, the poop. This past week was a perfect example of how things can turn quickly from puppy love to puppy hate. Wednesday evening, I received a phone call as I was getting ready to leave work. The irritated voice said, "She's not my dog. She's your dog and you have to take care of her from now on." *Click*

I returned home and found Chassie on the couch, watching TV. Bella was nowhere to be seen. I assumed that she was in her crate, but asked to confirm. It seems that even the best of us can be frustrated with the bubble of energy that is Bellatrix. Her favorite pastime has quickly become gnawing on the baseboard in the hallway where we keep her "playpen." Two weeks ago, she took quite a bit of paint off the baseboard and Chassie was able to repair it nicely earlier this week. I think the fact that on Wednesday, when Bella decided to undo the work Chassie had completed, it was a little bit too much.

I took care of the dog duties for the rest of the evening. I'm not going to say that I had an easier time. She played with her toys, she waited by the door, I took her outside and she would eat mulch. Five minutes outside and all she did was eat mulch. I took her back inside and she'd be okay for two minutes and then sit by the door again. I would take her back outside and she's eating mulch again. Finally, I called her bluff and she won. She peed on the linoleum by the basement door. I shake my fist at the sky, cry out "ARRGHH" and wonder why. Finally, at 10:30 she starts to slow down and falls asleep on the floor by my feet. If only it could be this nice all the time....

Chassie was nice enough the next morning to ask if I was awake to take care of her. My response, in which I groggily said, "Yes" was enough for her to take Bella out and feed her. I don't recall that exchange, I'm only going by what she told me. I was dreading the next evening when I returned home. I was thinking during my free moments at work, which were few and far between, the scenario that was going to take place that evening. Here's what happened inside my head: Chassie blamed me for choosing to get a puppy. I accept that blame, because I did choose the puppy route. I then, in turn tried to place the blame on her for wanting to have a second dog. We were perfectly happy with just Draco and when we tried to get a second dog through rescues, it did not work out. I've never mentally prepped for a fight, quite frankly because I don't get into fights. This time I was ready.

There was no need for my exuberant preparation. I feel a little ashamed for getting this worked up over something so petty and then I look at Bella when she's being cute and wonder how it even gets to the breaking point.

Needless to say, there was no giant confrontation which I was expecting. We got through Thursday, we got through Friday, Chassie took care of Bella almost all day Saturday and we made it to the third Intermediate class. She peed in class again (3 for 3 in Intermediate class), but that's another story for another time.

The thing to remember about this period of time is that it's just a period time. She's had her good days, she's had her bad days and she's had her sh*tty days. She's six months old. We've got a ways to go before she's where we want her to be. We just have to remember that we have each other and the one who's less frustrated can take over the puppy duties, for the moment.


No comments:

Post a Comment