Sunday, December 11, 2011

Dealing with Change

Our lives are now different. If you know anything about me, you know I am not too keen on change. The decision to add a puppy to our lives was made by both Dave and myself. But sometimes I like to imagine it was all Dave’s choice.

Once we were notified one of JoJo’s female puppies was ours, I was ecstatic. I read books, researched the internet, bought toys and other puppy things. I spend hours thinking of names and trying to develop the perfect AKC name. (More on the saga of the AKC name later).

Then when we brought her home, I started to have cold feet. It was too late to decide that I didn’t want puppy breath in the house. And even though she didn’t understand to pee outside and not inside, I could see the love in Dave’s eyes growing for her.

There is the rub, my irrational fear of change, aka Bella, and the growing love between Dave and Bella. What is a girl to do?

This is not my first puppy. I was in high school when we got Hunter, a gorgeous blonde Lab, and I was 21 when my neighbor gave me a 5 week old Draco. Hunter has since gone to Rainbow Bridge and Draco is still here with us. So I understand that puppyhood is short lived. I also know the hardships of puppyhood are turned into great rewards of a well-balanced and happy dog.

So though this is a hard time for me, I get through it by watching the love grow between Dave and Bella. And most importantly knowing she is going to return the love and dedication I show her now by giving undying love and loyalty to me as a true companion and life long friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment